Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Study, study...school's your buddy

A great travesty has occurred...my mp3 player is not functioning! I listen to it every night while I fall asleep, partly to get in my much missed American music and partly to block out all the echoing sounds of the dorm like voices, hair dryers and keys jingling in doors. I plugged it in the charger before I went to bed, set the sleep timer and when I woke up this morning, the screen was frozen and nonresponsive to my unplugging and plugging the charger back in. I didn't have time to deal with it this morning before the maids came and I was off to my three classes, but my dad emailed instructions to try and fix it and I will perform emergency maintenance repair shortly. Please pray for my Phillips Jukebox Media Player.

I managed to finally go to the bank when it was open. I'd been warned the doors open one at a time, so I was prepared for that. Fortunately, there was a couple that waited in the middle doors with me while we waited for the permission buzz into the bank. Another girl said the teller spoke English so I wouldn't have to worry about the language barrier, but I'd already flipped through my handy phrasebook and wrote down on a sticky note "I would like to exchange money and traveler's checks", which was a good thing because the man didn't speak English...well, he knew enough to joke about Jimmy Carter when looked at my passport.

Homework has actually been keeping me pretty busy, even though I'm only taking 13 hours. Ethics and contemporary media issues overlap a lot with content, and involve lots of reading and case study analysis, supplemented by work sheets. Unlike classes at KU, this reading is necessary in order to discuss in class and write your analysis. No waiting until the last minute this semester! For italian, we're supposed to use the listening lab and repeat what the speaker says. Although I did listen to the homework, I would've felt like a huge dork saying uh, ooh, ah outloud while people were typing papers and emailing. I just said them aloud in my head, if that counts :)

Tonight we have our first European Professionalism Seminar class from 745 to 915. We have to wait until Feb. 17 for our first dinner excursion, but the wait for a true multi course italian meal will be worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home