Monday, January 31, 2005

Jacky's first day of school

Today marked our first official week of school. My class schedule is actually acceptable. MWF I have Message Development from 9:20 to 10:40 followed by Conversational Italian from 10:40 to 11:45. You may notice we don't have passing periods. Luckily, these classes are just across from each other. Lunch is from noon to 1 and my last class of the day is Ethics from 2:20 to 3:40. My only class TR is Contemporary Media Issues from 10:20 to 11:40. They haven't yet informed us when our required European Professional Seminar Class is, but I'm only taking it for one credit.

The maid cleaned our room today, and it was about time. Our shower curtain doesn't extend to the floor, so water sprays from the corner where our shower is all the way across the bathroom to the toilet. Our bath mat gets sopping wet and it's almost a requirement to wear flip flops to prevent from slipping. In addition to having the bathroom floor mopped, we also received new linens. I'm not exactly a fan of white bed sheets that feel like cardboard, but what options do I have?! At least I have my pillow and pillow case from home :)

My room mate Carolyn and I went to Tabacchi #2 after classes today, and boy, is it way better than Tabacchi #1. To give you an idea of what tabacchis are like, imagine a gas station convenience store with Italian brands. There you go. There's fresh fruit, tons of cracker-like products, chocolates, toiletries, school supples, fresh meats and cheeses for sandwiches and lots of cigarettes. The Italian high school students are big consumers of those! I bought saltine crackers (although this sounds like a depressing purchase, i assure you they taste a little more sophisticated than the ones at home), a bag of chocolates, a jar of pringles and some folders. Luckily they accept debit and credit cards, which I'm relying on until I receive my PIN number (which is completely my fault for not memorizing it in the first place and then losing it in the move from Lawrence back to Kansas City).

I finally got around to taping up pictures in my room and it's way less institutional looking now. While the tape just has to suffice, I do miss picture frames and cute shelving decorations. All I've got are my textbooks and a few novels to spice up my shelves...definitely not the picture frame clutter I'm used to at TriDelt.

Your Italian word of the day is té, which is tea.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home