Friday, February 11, 2005

Sangria, sore throats and soccer

Last night was our first advisory meeting. All the students were divided in groups and assigned a faculty adviser. We went to Panic Jazz in a nearby city for mexican food. Our bus witnessed a car hit a motorcyclist as we were leaving campus! My Taco Supreme, which sounded like a safe choice, had chunky sausage-like meat. Everyone else liked their food. One teacher told us we were allowed to drink, but not get drunk. Some girls kept on ordering Pina Coladas, only to realize they were non-alcoholic. My strawberry daiquiri and sangria were quite delicious and made up for the sick food.

I feel worse and worse since I returning from Florence. Today I got a sore throat and checked out the tabacchi for their medicinal selection. They did have Riccola cough drops (i bought three boxes) but that is the absolute extent of the medicine in this town.

I just had my first dose of television in 18 days tonight. we only get the air force network here, but it has shows from different networks back home. The apprentice was on. Maybe I'll be able to catch the West Wing!! I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but the commercials are all made by the air force, so it's low-budget public service annoucements with bad actors and cheezy messages, including Wear your seatbelt!!!! (shouted by an intimidating man in uniform)and lock your car and protect your stuff (yes, they said stuff.) My favorite is "If your child is under 4 foot 9 inches, they need to be in a booster seat." Does that seem a little extreme? That's five inches shorter than me. if i didn't have any kneecaps, there's no way i'd be in a booster seat.

Saturday I'm off to Verona (the setting of Romeo and Juliet), followed by Milan (for a soccer game).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home