Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Hail Marys on Jesus Field

The first soccer game (USA versus Italia) was Tuesday night. I decided to forgo studying for my Message Development and Italian tests and cheer on my CIMBA friends. I arrived at Jesus Field (yes, the name of our "futbol" field is Jesus) early enough to score a letter for the signs. Nothing like "Go CIMBA" signs and some spirit fingers to start the game off right.

The Italians had uniforms, and never substituted their players (I lost track of how many changes we had...) We put up a good fight and the game was close until the end. We lost 6-3 but the old Italian ref def didn't call some fouls that would've gone our way. A guy from UConn used to play college soccer, but decided he was sick of being goalie and played the field. I'm sure we would've done better had he applied his soccer skills in a more productive manner. Even though we lost, I had a lot of fun in the cheering section (and so many people liked the signs that we were photographed an obscene amount, as well as filmed for the video yearbook).

When I talked with my mom afterwards, she passed the phone to my 9 year-old cousin Maggie. She updated me on the most important information I am missing out on in America. If any of you don't know the following info, it's probably because you don't keep up to speed with celebrity gossip... Demi Moore is pregnant with Ashton Kutcher's baby (shocking, isn't it?!) She's 8 weeks along, and 15 years older than Ashton (Maggie also knows Demi's and Ashton's ages and did the math for me on this stat). Maggie assumed correctly that I'd already heard about the Brad and Jennifer split. And we were both surprised that a pregnant Denise Richards is divorcing Charlie Sheen. Maggie was also the first to spill it to me that Britney Spears was getting married (Maggie suspected a pregnancy was behind this...) and Jessica Simpson hasn't been able to conceive through "traditional" ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home