Saturday, March 19, 2005

A little part of me just died...

The KU-Bucknell game was on at 3:50 am in Paderno (the Armed Forces Network does pick up March Madness. Yesss....) A group of guys were staked out in the TV all afternoon, evening and night ("studying" for their Saturday morning test). Leigh and I and a group of guys went to the Orchidea to kill some time before tip-off. We think the bartenders slash waitresses were on drugs because they had spacy eyes and just laughed at us when we waited to order. Maybe not the best idea to snort illegal substances while on the job.

Some very smart people moved couches from the lobby of La Salle dorm into the TV room, and then moved the connected plastic chairs on top of a table. Make-shift stadium seating! Leigh and I were successfully able to see the TV over all the boys and had a great view...although what we were watching wasn't that pleasant. I had to lay down on the table around 4:45 am because I was just so tired, but I did wake up to see the last 5 minutes. We were all standing up, yelling and clapping and so excited when KU got with in 1 point...and then the clock ran out. I'm still in disbelief and shock. We were all thrilled to finally be able to get KU games on TV and now they're out of the tournament.

For some reason, massive amounts of Italian students are dressed up in suits this afternoon. We had to eat lunch in a different room today. After I put away my tray and walked down the other end of the hall, I saw our normal cafeteria room had been transformed into a banquet. A beautiful apricot colored tablecloth replaced the institutional floral print, fabric was draped on tables with delicious looking desserts tucked inside and bottles of wine were clumped on table (maybe it's worth noting that we're not allowed to have alcohol on campus...). As if we don't already feel like the aloof and poor Americans, we have rich, suit-wearing Italian students and their families watching us go to the cafeteria on a Saturday morning in our comfy clothes.

Everyone else has Saturday classes today but my teacher held our class Monday night so I have free time. Yeah! The weather is finally phenomenal here. Quite a few people are wearing shorts. I'm just glad the snow is gone. While the temperature is fabulous, I fear my warm-blooded body may be a little hot in my room if this weather keeps getting better, especially since we don't have air conditioning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home