Monday, March 14, 2005

They don't make t-shirts that say "I tried to ski the Swiss Alps..."

My friend Leigh and I arrived in Interlaken, Switzerland at 8:40 am with our only directions to the hostel being that it's 15 minutes away from the east or west train station (this is from the hostel's website...) We stopped in a nearby store for advice but ended up wandering the eyes, drooling at pastries and marveling at all their modern products. I walked out with a chocolate chip croissant (delicious), shampoo and hose. The cashiers told us to walk 3 intersections up to find the hostel. We ended up asking at least 3 more people for help before finally stumbling across the Funny Farm Hostel.

As we walked up the rest of our group from school who had all taken a bus was already decked out in ski gear and getting on the bus to go up the mountain. Leigh and I checked in (we got our own room, which is a rare occurance for a cheap price at a hostel!) and rented ski gear. Let me explain preface my experience with a reminder that I have never skied in my life. How many times is one in the Swiss Alps with the chance to ski? I thought I should hit up this opportunity.

Leigh and i made it to kleine schindigg because simon at the hostel said that's most likely where our group ended up. although leigh's an intermediate skier, we hit the easy slopes for my sake. Leigh was very patient and helpful giving me a tutorial on how to ski, but i still spent most of my time falling town and attempting to get back up (and even this was a challenge with skis.) I had no idea it was such a hard sport. I have a new found respect for those who participate in snow-related sports.

After an hour of more falling than actual ski to snow contact, i told leigh to go ski and i headed back UP the slope (i saw old people do it, so it couldn't be that bad...) I failed to notice a fork in the slope...one side being somewhat flat, the other being steep. i took off my skis and started walking but it got so steep i had to crawl up the slope. not a finer moment really. i had to push my skis in front of me, push them in the snow so they couldn't slip, hold them for a little support, sink one knee into the snow for leverage and then put my weight on my other knee and continue the sorry cycle.

Of course there aren't any "lifeguards" or safety people hanging around to help out poor souls like me. I very slowly made my way back up to the top of the slopes. If a hidden camera had been taping me, this would take the cake as the most embarrasing thing in my life, but since i didn't know the europeans sailing past me, it was bearable, and looking back, quite amusing.

Being up at the top of the mountain provided an amazing view. The peaks are impressive and the skiers were so graceful. Even though my introduction to sking didn't materialize too well, I enjoyed the outdoors and experience of the Alps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home